April 28, 2007

Ridin' through the streets of DC



Ever since I watched Weird Al's very funny "White and Nerdy" music video , I've wanted to ride on a Segway. And when Adam's family came to visit, Adam's parents took us on a Segway tour of DC! It was fantastic! I'd imagined that riding a Segway would be akin to riding a unicycle, but in fact it was very intuitive to ride. We felt like celebrities, with heads turning, people smiling, and tourists snapping pictures of us. The engineering design behind the segway is the best part about it. 5 gyroscopic sensors and 2 accelerometers measure the plane of motion, and when it senses a change in the balance, the platform moves to alleviate it. Very cool! I can't say our tour guide was very good at all in guiding us through our nation's capital, but I had a capital time on the Segway! I really thank God for giving me such wonderful in-laws too. Even an upset-stomach didn't keep Adam's mom from gallivanting around the capital!

We also were there in time for the cherry blossoms, and ate at some fantastic restaurants, and visited the Smithsonian museums! I was rather disappointed that the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History was mostly a stuffed-animal collection, rather than like the Exploratorium in San Francisco, but it did have a gorgeous rock collection. Funny, everyone else rushed past the minerals to get to the Hope Diamond and other jewelry. Give me this instead of the Hope Diamond any day!

Adam and I do make quite a colorful couple!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home